Saturday, March 18, 2017

SWAGamers MTG Championship #3 2017

18th March 2017 (Saturday)


Game(s) Played:



Session – 2017 SWAGamers Cube Championships

Player(s):


Another year has passed and it is time for the regular boardgamers to dig out their inner Planeswalker to challenge for the annual SWAGamers Cube Championships!

This year we decided to switch things up a bit by playing the Two Headed Giant format instead of just the regular swiss booster draft. For the first time, we are also using my brand new Cube (made up of only commons & uncommons across every set of Magic ever printed) which hopefully increases the skill factor in place of the luck factor of first picking mythic rares.

The Draft:
I was thinking of forcing mono white but my first pack did not look very promising and so I went mono red instead, at least until my pack had made a full circuit back to me, and gauge what colours the others were playing in. Four picks in, I realize that black was wide open whilst blue was being picked up by at least one if not two Players (most likely Sean being one of them). Deciding I was not interested in competing colours with the others, I decided to jump in with mono black all the way.

This turned out to be a not a particularly good idea as pack two had so many white playables. Gideon decided at this point that 4 colour good stuff is the way to go whilst I decided to stick to mono black. This decidedly gave Edward free reign to pick up all the white goodies which ended up being extremely problematic as our draft showed an extremely low count of removal. Sean suggested we try burn drafting next time to see more of the Cube which is actually designed for 10 Players.

The Match-Up:
Rolling dice for teams, the first match-up was Gideon & Edward vs Sean & Me.

Round 1 - Game 1:


Gideon was mana flooded and whilst Edward tried valiantly to put up bodies it was all for naught after my Smogsteed Rider entered the battlefield to give all of Sean's and my creatures fear.

Round 1 - Game 2:


Game 2 was significantly harder and we were eventually taken down to 4 life before one big skirmish later, we ended up being the last Two Headed Giant standing after Gideon & Edward swung and were decimated with my fatties still intact.


Planeswalkers hanging out

We decided to switch things up with Edward changing sides with me. This is when all of a sudden Edward's white deck decided to suddenly hit all the right notes.

Round 2 - Game 1:


This was Edward's perfect starting 4 turns. Eventually we fell prey to Sean's Flame Lash as further insult to injury. I was so mana flooded that I couldn't summon the bodies needed to protect our life total.

Round 2 - Game 2:


In Game 2, we managed to delay Edward through Gideon's Wash Out but Sean targeted the fact that I'm mono black using his Sphinx Tutelage, plus his Belltower Sphinx managed to mill my library into the void giving them the win.

Results Of Game(s)
Round 1:
Gideon & Edward v Sean & Justin (0-2)

Round 2:
Gideon & Justin v Sean & Edward (0-2)

I forgot to bring the trophy but it would probably have been awarded to Sean for a flawless record anyway so I suppose no loss since we've been taking pictures of his win each year already. Admittedly the amount of bounce & artifact / enchantment removal in my Cube seems to be lacking but otherwise the Cube seemed really balance with wins coming at a stage where given another turn, the other team could have taken the victory. Most importantly, it was extremely fun to draft this Cube and unless a special request is made for my Ravnica or Zendikar Cube, this is probably our go to Cube for our future annual SWAGamers Cube Championships.

No comments: