Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Session - Nations

18th July 2017 (Saturday)


Game(s) Played:



I honestly don't know why I constantly subject myself to playing games like this and Through The Ages with Moses since I almost always wind up losing. I suppose it must be the same reason of whupping my ass that Moses keeps choosing these games when it's just the two of us gaming. However, let this record show that there was very little I could do to win this game, as seemingly anything and everything that could go wrong, did in fact GO WRONG spectacularly against me.

Session – Nations


Game: Nations
Designer: Rustan Håkansson, Nina Håkansson, Einar Rosén, Robert Rosén
Players: 1 – 5 Players
Playing Time: 40 – 200 minutes (This Play: 120 minutes)
Main Mechanisms: Worker Placement, Card Drafting

Player(s):



525 BC Battle of Pelusium which Egypt loses by the way

So Moses goes and picks the Egyptians who START with a BUILT wonder – The Pyramids (of course) but no military technologies, which hardly seems like a balanced drawback. I represented the Persians and have an extra colony slot so military was going to be a big part of my game.


I'm really sorry about the drink bottle partially blocking the screen

In 0:02 of the video above, is where everything goes wrong without me quite realizing it yet. I decided to give the Legionary technology a pass, thinking to get a head start on other technologies that would boost my nation's resource production, firmly in the belief that surely, more military technologies would follow in subsequent turns. So I waited, and waited, and waited but technology after technology came with no other military technology in sight UNTIL the last round of Age IV! And by then I had already given up hope and replaced my own Axeman technology with a modern building technology.


Welcome to New Persia!

In the meantime, turns were wasted on useless wars to ensure I didn't suffer the effects of it, choosing Niccolo Machiavelli as my advisor so I could somewhat mitigate the damage from Event Cards with 'Least Military' penalties, and constructing wonders like I wanted to make Persia look like Vegas to make up for VP.

Alas the end result was perhaps carved in stone the minute I gave the Legionary tech a pass. Whilst I was indeed ahead of Moses in terms of production of resources for a while, the turns spent buying wars to keep up with his military and picking up golden age cards to compensate for VP loss, left me eating his dust.

Results Of Game(s)


History was rewritten today

Winner – Moses (45 VPs)
LAST – Justin (33 VPs)


The great nation of Egypt


The colony-less Persia


And of course, the obligatory winner pic

No comments: