Monday, May 23, 2022

Gloomhaven Solo #15 - (43) Drake Nest

22nd May 2022 (Sunday)
No, really, the following post has MAJOR spoilers for the Gloomhaven campaign. This has been your spoiler warning.

Game(s) Played:

Gloomhaven Solo #15 – (43) Drake Nest


Game: Gloomhaven
Designer: Isaac Childres
Players: 1 – 4 Players
Playing Time: 30 – 120 minutes (This Play: 60 minutes)
Main Mechanisms: Role Playing, Legacy, Hand Management

As the daylight fades, you find yourselves wandering through a half-crowded market street, browsing wares.

“Hey! Over here!” You turn in the direction of the voice to see a filthy Vermling gesturing from a dark alley. “Yeah, you grim-looking chaps. I have something you might be interested in.”

The Vermling holds out a piece of metal covered in sludge. “Found this in the sewer. Writing on it I don’t understand, but I know it’s valuable. You can have it for ten gold!”

You hand over the gold and take hold of the piece of garbage. Amidst troubling brown smears you see a lot of meaningless scratches likely made by rats and bugs. Oh well. Sometimes the long shot doesn’t pay off.
Both Llaer & Remy go looking for Hail again to try and solve this city’s sewage issues.

“Oh my, you think I can help you to breathe underwater? How adorable.” Hail stares at you with an exasperated look. “I mean, who do you think I am? Where would I even begin?”

Hail turns around and begins to pace. “You’d need drake scales, of course—something to filter the air out of the water. And if you consider the water’s separate elemental properties...” She trails off and disappears in the process.

You are used to her behavior by now and wait patiently for her return. It takes an hour.

“Okay, yes, you have intrigued me. I accept your proposal. Bring me some drake scales and I’ll see what I can do. I know of a drake nest on the northern border of the Dagger Forest. I’ll draw you a map.”

A few hours later as you walk down a dirt path, you see a hard-looking mercenary sitting in a patch of grass. He nods as you pass.

“Hey, friends,” he says. There is something off about his tone, though.

“I don’t suppose one of you might be willing to part with a stamina potion, would you? I’m headed toward Gloomhaven, but I’ve just come such a long way, and I’m not feeling too good about the stretch I have left.”

With the clank of his sword sheath against his armor and a loud groan, the man stands up. “I’ll pay you well for it.”

After some oddly tense negotiations, you are able to agree upon a price. With one hand firmly on his sword hilt, the man grabs a coin pouch with the other hand and extends it toward you. You exchange goods and continue on your journey without further incident. GAIN 20 COLLECTIVE GOLD
The map’s not great, but it does get you to the mouth of a cave, and there is a distinct hissing emanating from within. Hail wants you to gather as many scales as you can carry, so it’s time to get to slaughtering.


The waves of red-scaled lizards seem unending, but you have harvested a significant number of corpses and make a calculated retreat. At the mouth of the cave, you break into a full sprint and the drakes don’t seem too interested in pursuing you. You begin the strenuous task of lugging the hides back to the Crooked Bone.

Hail silently takes the bloody mass of scales from you when you arrive and then disappears for a good two hours. When she returns, she holds out a handful of small, blue orbs.

“Okay, so all you need to do is lodge one of these into your throat when you go underwater and it should filter your inhaling and exhaling into the water.

“It will be incredibly painful, and you’ll have a beast of a time getting them back out when you get back on dry land. I don’t envy you at all, but it should get the job done.”

Hail grins from ear to ear. “I’m very happy with the result actually. Thanks for providing the interesting challenge. Now get out of my house.”
Party Progress

Llaer gains 15 experience (Level Up!), 9 gold and 1 Tick (+1 Perk)
Remy gains 18 experience and 1 Tick
Achievement Water Breathing unlocked

Llaer is now a Level 6 Brute (275 XP) with 112 Gold and 11 Perks
Remy is now a Level 5 Scoundrel (262 XP) with 64 Gold and 9 Perks 1 Tick
Silverflag's reputation is 0
Gloomhaven's prosperity is 2 & 4/5



Until next time, keep calm and play better.

No comments: